Since its founding in 1958 The Doll League, Inc. has been an active civic and service organization ever Since its beginning in 1958 around the kitchen table of esteemed founder the late Ethel Sissle. Mrs. Sissle believed that a small group of dedicated women working together in a club devoted to service could positively impact the lives of children in New York City.
For years, The Doll League “adopted” the orphans of Graham House in New York City, awarding scholarships, sponsoring field trips and serving as role models for the girls.
Our name was inspired by one of our earliest activities, distributing dolls at Christmas to children in orphanages and our annual Children’s Christmas Party, complete with toys, Santa, food and fun, remains a cherished activity.
From the installation of the club’s first elected officers by Congressman Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. to our ensuing decades of service and millions in scholarships to young women and financial grants to community organizations, The Doll League has grown and grown.
We now operate two ongoing
scholarship funds that honor the memories of late Doll League members and we established The Living Doll Award in 1962 to honor
individuals who are outstanding in their fields of endeavor.
In addition to the New York Metropoltan Chapter, the tax-exempt, non-profit group has a second chapter in Detroit, Michigan.
With generous support from
individuals, small businesses
and corporations, The League will continue to support young people pursuing higher education and
community organizations whose work helps to make life better for our youngsters.
Rep. Adam Clayton Powell Jr. installs founding members of The Doll League in 1958
Founder Ethel Sissle is a lasting inspiration
for the work done by members of The
Donating a kidney machine for the pediatrics
ward at Harlem Hospital was an early Doll League project